I took a crack at re-designing the website. I built a child theme of the Twentytwelve theme. Strangely, I had to use the older method of importing the parent theme, rather than the newer method described on the WordPress website. In my search for help, I found other people that had the same problem. It’s always comforting to learn it isn’t just me.
I also messed around with the GIMP for a couple of hours to develop a new header image. It’s been a while since I did much with the GIMP. I’d wanted to use some sort of lens flare or lighting effect, but I wasn’t able to get it to look how I wanted it to. So, I fiddled around with a bunch of other options. I quite like the final result. Often images I mess around with end up feeling either under- or over-fiddled with, but, as I said, it’s been a while. Maybe my eye is improving!